Saturday, August 18, 2012

Boy in the Basement: Fun, Energetic, Mildly Offensive

           Perhaps it’s my lack of fluency in the language of comic books. Maybe I spend too much time with my friends from the Women’s Studies Department, or maybe I just don’t want to know what goes on in the minds of some twenty-something male writers. Whatever the reason, I found myself feeling amused, entertained, and yet vaguely offended during most of this show.
            In the show, a writer narrates the book he is writing, while his characters act out the story on the stage next to him. In typical comic book romance fashion, these characters are mostly two-dimensional stereotypes defined by their sexuality. This fact would be fine if it were somehow critiqued, or if we were able to explore the psyche of the writer himself. What needs does he seek to satisfy through his writing? Unfortunately, such contemplations get lost in the tantalizing spectacle of the bawdy, energetic plot-within-the-plot.
            The cast gets points for creative use of sets and props, as well as for solid performances. This is a great production for a person who is a fan of comic books and romance novels, but the satire doesn’t come across effectively enough for someone who is not. Someone like me. 

-- Katrin Welch

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're not a sex positive feminist. You know, someone like me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the name of the male playwright?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To clarify, I was referring what goes on in the mind of the male writer in the play.
    I hope we can all respect each other's opinions about works of art and have a respectful dialogue. I think that's what playwrights like Katharine Heller are hoping for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, playwright here! Thank you so much for coming to the show. I always appreciate and respect all reviews - this show has been produced numerous times by various companies for 4 years and it means a lot that you took the time to see it. Would you mind crediting the director and the cast in your review if you can? (Not everyone goes to links). Thanks again for coming; I'm sure it meant a lot to the cast!

    Best,

    Katharine

    ReplyDelete